Monday, November 24, 2008

John Calvert

This past Saturday evening I was highly fortunate to be able to attend a performance and lecture by John Calvert, that was hosted by the Peoria Magicians Assembly. John Calvert is a living legend in magic, and his life and career read like some sort of high society adventure novel. He had a career as a movie actor "back in the day", and has traveled around the world numerous times performing magic. I've been wanting to see his show for years, and this was my first opportunity to do so.

And at 97 years of age, I must say the man still absolutely exudes charm. He absolutely lives up to his reputation as a master showman and ambassador of goodwill. One can't help but get caught up in his aura of good humored fun and positive emotion. He's a great lesson in what it means to be a master performer.

He's really the epitome of what I'm always advocating: find your character, be yourself, extend charisma, choose magic that fits your character, connect with the audience, (I could go on, and on, and on...), and he's a one-man study in poise and being comfortable on stage.

He's a true artist in every sense.

At the end of his show, John made a strong assertion that we in the magic fraternity are blessed to share joy and goodwill with the world, and that it is our responsibility to do so to the best of our abilities. And he attributed this mission of goodwill with his amazing longevity.

I couldn't agree more. If John is scheduled to come to your town anytime soon, I highly recommend that you do whatever you can to catch his performance. I'm confident you won't be disappointed by this master artist.

Labels: ,